Take the Game and Run

A few months ago, I talked about one of the regular players in my weekly D&D game at my local game cafe. He had started his own campaign at home and was discovering all of the joys and pitfalls of being a dungeon master that I did nearly 20 years ago.

Recently, events conspired to keep us from meeting at the cafe for about three weeks. During that time, this player organized his own one-shot with the other regular players at another location. The adventure drew on elements that had been introduced in our previous campaign playing through Curse of Strahd, and it sounded like an awesome session I would have loved to have played.

But I was blown away that he had put something like this together. One of my players had actually run a spin-off of my organized play campaign with no prompting from me. And everyone had a great time! I'm not surprised — this is one of my best regular players, and everything he's told me about his home game has shown that he has excellent DM instincts. It was just amazingly gratifying to see him move into the role even more and to draw on my own game for inspiration.


Comments

Popular Posts